Monday, December 3, 2007

A meeting with Collier

I met with my ENG 425 professor today about my final project: a cultural symposium about Martin Scorsese's 1976 film Taxi Driver. Although this semester's been an academic train wreck, this has easily been my favorite class. Tons of great pedagogical tidbits about film, plus I've gotten the chance to see some great movies. Not to mention, I'm excited about this project.

Collier flat out worked my thesis and outline, but you know... it was definitely for the best. He loved my ideas, but like most teachers, felt I needed to hone and polish my direction. "You're trying to do too much with this paper, which is good. Most people never do enough. You're definitely on the right track." It was nice hearing that from a professor who is generally considered one of the hardest graders in the department (not to mention, he's the assistant chairman of the department...). He really seemed to like my ideas, and had positive things to say about everything.

It was a solid half hour of bad-assery (that's my new word). It looks like a complete mess, but you know, it's going to be a lot easier, now that somebody's looked at my ideas (and essentially picked them apart). Taxi Driver is a deep, enriching film that has a great Vietnam War subtext. Plus, it just looks killer on the screen, and has just an outstanding script. ****FILM NERD****

Even though the semester's coming down to a crunch, and I have roughly eighteen jillion things due in the next two weeks, it's all working substantially better then I had originally thought. The next few nights should be me tweeking my paper, and a few other projects, but it shouldn't be too bad. I'll just crack open a Vitamin Water, give Ms. B a hug, and put my nose to the fucking grindstone.

Eat my dick, college. I'm going to rape this paper.

2 comments:

B said...

i'll always take a hug

<3

Unknown said...

i'm glad to see your semester is going better