Tuesday, October 21, 2008

More blurbing. Kareem Abdul-Jabbar. Songs.

Sam Pink blogs. He writes and breathes and lives and sleeps behind four walls. He does things just like you and me. Which means when Sam Pink is kind enough to send you a chapbook called YUM YUM I CAN'T WAIT TO DIE, you read it.

His work is exciting, loose. Sam Pink's collection is dangerous. It's the thing I found in a shoebox underneath my bed. It's covered in dust, it's still tightly wrapped in plastic, breathing in choking gasps, spitting out vowels and other things growing in dumpsters. A great suggestion would be to not show Sam Pink's work to your dad or anyone else's dad, for that matter. Mainly because, your dad is a square, but more so because coming home and finding his defragmented torso bits exploded all over his La-Z-Boy because of the sheer destruction of YUM YUM I CAN'T WAIT TO DIE would depress you for weeks. All you would do is sit in your room, eat popcorn and listen to Natalie Cole.

This chapbook is a series of micro-narratives. Maybe fables, maybe introspective narrative. Ultimately, this is a collection of statements. Examine them and apply them to your life. While I read these narratives, I couldn't help but apply them to an academic setting. 

Reading Sam Pink's work makes me want to call it my own and bring it into a class so girls can yell about nothing making sense, and guys can say cool things like, "Yeah, I get this. This is alright. Great line breaks." Then I can say what the fuck. The professor would be real slick and move his glasses up and down his nose a few times and mumble "Woahhhhh, woah. I like what's going on here," and the ambiguity of that statement will rock my world because I'll have no idea who's saying what or what is even going on here.

Follow the links, read the words, enjoy the moment. It's that simple.

**

Could you imagine being Kareem Abdul-Jabbar? 


Socks? Check. Sweet shorts? Check. Mad hair? Yeah. Wikipedia says Kareem is, "a successful coach, author and actor," and when I read this, I say to myself, "Yeah, actin' like a bad ass!" Plus, Kareem is a master of figurative language. Proof seen here:

"It's like when you're seasick and you have that feeling in your stomach. 'With a migraine, that feeling is in your head.''

How 'bout you suck on that poetic dick, Dan Brown?

**
All of these are worth watching. They all rule/shred/get your head bobbing, etc. I think this idea came from Dan Bailey's post from a few weeks ago where he put up a bunch of cool shit he liked in high school. Man, I loved being into music in high school. You didn't give a shit about anything, it just mattered if music got you so pumped up that you wanted to punch through your closet and rip all of your nice collared shirts.









Among others.

No comments: