Wednesday, May 6, 2009

Riding tandem leads to love.

To me,
it doesn't make much sense
that I try and describe
how I feel about you
and maybe how we feel about each other
through poetry.

Words are inadequate
when you're sitting across from friends
piling up breadsticks and neatly placing
cups of sauce into rows
and after everything on the table 
looks like a commercial shoot:
forks and knives held in loose fingers
like drawn weapons,
children are doing the laugh-track laughter,
even the lighting makes you feel phototropic.
A friend who's been gone for months 
navigates a straw around ice cubes
and tries speaking through a mouthful of ice tea:
"How're things with that girl, the new one?"

My stomach stomach starts to hurt,
the "standing in line, holding it too long" hurt
that also doubles as the
"love makes you hurt inside your stomach" hurt.
"We're great. We ride our bikes around the park."
He puckers his lips and swallows tea,
"That sounds about right... bike rides lead to love,
at least, that's what they'd lead you to believe."
I stared down at the sauce
and felt like our relationship might need a second opinion
from they,
or something.

I think,
because what my stomach feels
and what he said were so right
and so perfect because they weren't planned,
unlike those bike rides.

1 comment:

Katlyn said...

I'm listening to our song, you know the one <3

.i love you.