Wednesday, May 28, 2008

The inside and outside of the Earth is burning.

It's hot outside
and the sun is making people do crazy things.
I'm sitting inside with an old Carrier fan's
blades spinning fast enough to turn into one large blade.
But the air isn't cold, it isn't even warm. It's hot. 
The vinyl is sticking to my thighs and it takes
twice as long to lick the salt from each finger
on my left hand. My undershirt is turning a pastel yellow
from sweat.  A glass of flat cola
sits stagnant like dirty bath water 
I'm waiting for a brownout.

There's an apartment complex across the street
and all the windows have drawn grey shades
and mini-blinds. Some kind of terrier 
with a cream colored face runs hobbled circles 
around a fire hydrant,
a roman candle burning in between his jaws.
Kids are playing hopscotch and skipping rope
with ropes that're as red as their cheeks. 
Mrs. Hampton, the woman who owns 
the fruit stand two blocks down, 
waters a potted fern's wilting stems 
and her arm flab shakes when she moves the hose.

People are on the roof flying kites
yelling at the ice cream man who's probably parked
on the opposite street, reading a Sports Illustrated
and chewing on the end of a straw. The kites move
just like the dog: with heavy feet. A gust 
bends trees while their leaves turn over
onto their lighter green side. I remember learning
in grammar school that this means it'll rain soon.

The clouds roll over each other 
with gray overlapping white and black,
what I'd imagine the layers of Earth look like
from the inside,
churning and hardening like an experiment.
I lean my head an inch from the fan blades
and think if life was a movie
this'd be the part where people scream.

No comments: