Monday, March 9, 2009

City next to a dam

I did not give up
this spot on a dam that acts
as a grey shoulder to a round-head city.
At dawn, the head tilts 
and empties its lungs of sighs.
I'm a non-migrating bird
preening wings, molting in a small pile.
I'm the overseer of a manmade slab
that chokes out electricity to two-room houses
in the bedroom community of machine metropolis.

The city is filled with naked trees
and people that move likes cells
that nourish something larger
than an organ. Maybe the lower half
of a body or the whole body,
keeping a sick body alive with slugging cars,
red cell cars that fight black illness
and the rub the sleep from your eyes.

I sit on the dam,
feet tucked and wings primed to fly,
feathers piled to my breast 
watching the streams of water
colored the same as dirty sky
flow away from each other.
One towards a sighing city,
the other to nourish a coughing,
vulnerable man.

No comments: