Tuesday, August 5, 2008

Electric Wizard

Woah, that's a tough name. Right? Definitely. Think about it literally. If you saw an electric wizard, you'd be scared, but interested, too. It'd be shooting sparks everywhere, catching the floppy canvas tip of his hat on fire. He won't notice because he's too busy shooting electricity everywhere and being omnipotent. That's what wizards do!

All of this is natural to wizards. So would it be natural for a band named 'Electric Wizard' to shoot electricity from their instruments and the vocalist to sing about potions and summoning demons? Probably. Electric Wizard is a great band. What I like about their music is that the first time you listen to it, you'll always come across a great surprise. Like the rhythm's repetition getting sidetracked for two seconds by a cool blusey riff that can't help but remind you about the first time you listened to Paranoid by Black Sabbath.

And I don't bother looking up the lyrics, because I'd imagine the things they sing about would cause me great anxiety. I mean, I KNOW what they sing about, but I just don't want any visual conformation.

Oh, side note. I found one of my favorite professor's websites. You can find it here. He's a fantastic teacher who loves to give students handouts. I like handouts, especially when they aren't just "busy" handouts. He writes a lot, too.

No comments: