Tuesday, January 1, 2008

It's 2008

Sorry for the lame title.

So, 2008 is here. 2007 was the most disappointing, hardest year of my life. I lost my Grandpa and Uncle John. I ended a five and a half year relationship with somebody who meant the world to me. I struggled (a little bit) during the Fall semester. I was broke beyond words (still am) and it's safe to assume that October is a month I'd like to forget. It was definitely a low point. But everyone needs perspective. And that's what 2007 gave me, especially the last six months of it.

I can't complain too much though, I did have some high points. I did some solid writing this year in both of my creative writing classes, which kind of justifies the fact that I'm dumping 60 grand down the toilet so I can call myself a 'writer.' Still won't pay the bills, but hey... I'll have a diploma in August, and I actually did it in four years, which is something most people can't say anymore. I really enjoy my job at the library... when I'm not getting irritated by Adballa or get forced to shelf read for an hour. It's a nice, relaxing way to make money, even though I don't make shit, and it barely pays the bills. Plus, I have Ms. B now, which has been wonderful.

I'm growing up. Shit gets harder. Classes get harder. You have to start managing money, and actually consider that the future.... being "an adult," and all of that nonsense is the new reality. Each day can't just be a facsimile of the one before it like my first few years of college were.

Hobbies actually matter now, which is a catch in itself. I can't watch movies now, or listen to an album without sitting there, thinking about thematic musing, composition, what 'emotions' are being drawn from me VIA the art itself, and vice versa. I hate it, but at the same time, it's given me a far greater appreciation to entertainment. Too bad I can't convey my thoughts in an academic paper, because I'd love to discuss film theory for a living. But it's much harder to convey yourself through speech (even though I'm better at that) then on paper.

And thank God I can retain myself and not come off as one of those ridiculous assholes on Facebook or MySpace that have 581 'favorite bands' or talk about how Requiem for a Dream and Eternal Sunshine changed their lives forever, because they're so deep with meaning! Don't get me wrong, both are fine movies... but the cultural saturation and de-emphasis on what is "actually going on" in the movie just kills them.

I digress....

I just want 2008 to be a step up from last year. Hell, it can't be much worse. With graduation only eight months away... things are bound to change. For better? Worse? I have no fucking idea. The journey is the destination, man.

1 comment:

B said...

It's going to be an awesome year, Mr. Minutillo.

Just wait, you'll see.

<3 Ms. B