Monday, November 3, 2008

If you find me in a coma, please don't shave my beard.

I feel like a bag of dicks right now. 
Like I'm trapped in a damp Aldi bag 
with other people who may never please someone again.
Right now I'm two-hundred feet in the air
and black dots move around below me 
like Etch-a-Sketch dust:
clumps and circles connecting lines
making angles. 
In the air 
but looking through windows.
Through four distinct panes of 
yellowing glass.

When I look outside, my window is 
a jersey-knit black sheet 
with barking dogs and a woman dragging 
a full trash can behind it.
I can listen to everything like its nothing
when it is something,
even if it's a magazine with
smudge pages, 
or someone's photograph of strangers
or a sketch of some bridge with cars
parked bumper-to-bumper,
making industrial noise.
Fuel fumes. Metal tips
belch petroleum clouds
into circling cylinders.

Still black outside.
Shih Tzus chattering teeth
and pawing at grass damp
with sagging clouds. 

Inside a black room
anything could be written on the wall.
The wall could be painted any color,
the writing could be any color
and when you sleep,
I can imagine you paying tiny men
to paint the inside of your eyelids
so they could be any color but black.

So when you find me asleep somewhere:
at work in the breakroom with my head
pressed on a printer manual.
With my apron untied and pens at my feet.
With my boss rubbing my shoulder
the way my mother rubs shoulders,
you can just let me sleep.
A coma, sure. A coma.
Sometimes they're fine.
Man-made coma to avoid pain
from extreme injury.
Please pretend I was thrown from a horse
or had something inside my heart grow
into a colony of bad things
and those bad things traveled 
with small tank treads
through my veins
into the back of my eyes.
The tank treads pushing hair follicles
out of my cheeks, and into the shapes
and textures of bird nests in the beginning of fall.

You can ask all you want
Can you hear me?,
in order to gauge my consciousness.
Or wipe the drool from my lips,
or rotate my lifeless body to
rid my thighs and hips of red sores.
Just don't shave the only sign of life
I have.

No comments: