Thursday, November 20, 2008

10 things this drawing could be. Peeing a lot. The music I listened to at work today.

A mom came into work today with her toddler. She sat him on the counter and placed an order. I made her 15 color copies of a party flyer. Her toddler grabbed a bag of Skittles and started eating them. He shared the purple ones with me.

He dropped three into my hand. "Can I draw something?"

"Sure bud." I reached into the printed and pulled out two pieces of paper. All we had on the counter was a black pen, and two hi-ligthers. "This is all I got, can you make due with this?"
"Uh huh."

He pressed his face close to the paper and started drawing. Flexing the bend in his elbow, sighing and coughing. I handled other customers. Made more copies, faxed things, laminated somebody's diploma.

The toddler's mom walked over with her bag of cut flyers and scooped up her son. He adjusted his hat, tilting the brim to one side.

I closed some windows on the computer and started dusting the counter.

"I wear my hat like that, too." I pointed at the teddy bear wearing a football jersey on his hat.

He dropped his drawing on the counter and pointed at it.

"I might be back soon."

Door swung open, leaves rolled in onto the carpet. I put his drawing in my apron and went back to dusting.

He drew this:

It could be a lemon with the word it drawn on it. Or a recreation of Christ's crucifixion. It might be Panagea. It could be a football flying towards a diving receiver. Or a ghost's head. The wick of a candle blowing when a window closes. A computer mouse. A regular mouse with cirrhosis and no feet. It could be what the sun looks like when you look through one of the eclipse boxes. A blank headstone.

**

I drank a 44 ounce lemonade from White Castle today. Also two waters and some Vitamin Water. I've been peeing a lot. Take it for what you will.
Today at work, I listened to: Nas, KRS-One, Miles Davis, Rocky Votolato, Pavement, Pelican, Lupe Fiasco, and Beck. Today went from bad to good. More days should do that, only without the bad part.

No comments: