Monday, June 30, 2008

Business acquaintance

Outside a man sits in a wicker chair
with his legs crossed at the knee
flicking ashes from a cigar. 
He thumbs through an address book.
I'm preparing brownies for a party.
The chain tethered to the ceiling fan
spins in a flat oval. My wife has her nose
buried in a checkbook.

She's thinking about the man outside
and his address book. She's thinking about 
calling him a business acquaintance, 
saying something like, "I met him once.
At a tech meeting in Buchel." This would
be an excuse to go outside 
and talk about their jobs 
until their cups of coffee get cold.

My wife gets up from the table
and I notice she's wearing my slippers.
I tell she feels bad that she's wearing them
and she knows it upsets me. She's more upset
about the unbalanced checkbook. 

No comments: