Friday, April 25, 2008

Thinking about poetry in ten years.

What's a good poem? I can't remember having somebody say "Hey, that was a good poem," after I've done a reading. Even if the person is lying, it's nice to hear that somebody was at least paying attention. More people should be excited about poems and pay attention to them.

Thursday was my last day of classes, and it made me think about writing when school's done. It's hard to think about what'll motivate me. I always had classes and could say "This is alright, it can be workshopped." I'll even miss the fact that I got the same comments on every poem. "I like the images, but sometimes there are too many of them, or too many words."

It'd suck if I my poems stayed the same forever. I need to start trying new things with my poetry. When I move back home, I need to find a new group of "poetry people." And a place to read at. Oh yeah, and a job. It'd be great to get a job at a publishing place.  I'd take a decent job anywhere, though.

I tried writing like three different poems yesterday, but it seemed a lot harder than usual. That's the first time writing felt like that all semester, and that was really weird.  Two poems are my goal for tomorrow.

And watch the NFL draft.

No comments: