Friday, June 22, 2007

SWEEETHEARRRRT... Ain't goin' out like that.

So I'm sitting here, watching highlights of Ken Griffey, Jr. back when he played for the Mariners (i.e.: when BOTH of his hamstrings were fully operable), and all I can really say is, "Wow." Now granted, The Kid was never my favorite player growing up, but as a young adult, you really have to admire how hard he's played throughout his entire career. Sure, his trade to the Reds in 2000 probably ruined baseball in the new millennium by destroying an icon and legend's potential stay in one town for an entire career. To me, that's the biggest draw back to living in the free agency era of sports. I could really care less about guys being greedy and wanting 150 million dollars to play a "kids game." What I've always loved is seeing players that withhold a level of loyalty to a city. When you think about it, most of the true legends (especially in baseball) played all of their years in one city. George Brett, Robin Yount, Tony Gwynn, Ted Williams, Stan Musial, Bob Gibson, Sandy Koufax.... just to name a few.

In all seriousness, I just miss seeing guys that spend their entire career in one jersey. Think about it: Frank Thomas in a fucking Blue Jays jersey? Karl Malone dawning Lakers colors a few years ago? As a fan, it's just weird to see. We have expectations, and I almost feel greedy saying this, but some legends just aren't destined to win a championship, but that's part of their appeal. They play the underdog. Look at Indiana's own (and one of my LEAST favorite athelets, simply because he had to face my Bulls every year) Reggie Miller. One of his appeals is he's the guy who got there, but could never win it. Same with Charles Barkley, or the aforementioned Karl Malone.

**BREAKING NEWS: Miguel Tejada just got placed on the DL for his wrist injury, ending his streak of 1,152 consecutive games played. As one of his admirers, I'd just like to thank Miguel's hard work over the past seven plus years, staying healthy and remaining one of the best players in the league. Just like my man Vladamir Guerrero, Miggy puts up monster numbers and plays his heart out without running his mouth. A few more solid years will solidify his place in the Hall. He's quietly positioning himself as one of the best offensive shortstops in recent memory.


Meh... so I need to pop this huge fucking blister on my hand. Yesterday at work, I had a nice grease explosion engulf my hand and leave a nice quarter-sized blister on the palm of my right hand. I looked like a moron yesterday running around for a few hours trying to keep it submerged in freezing cold water. Just to make yesterday even better, Take-Two had decided to temporarily halt their plans to release Manhunt 2 for the Wii, one of my most-anticipated games of the year, due to "Adult-only" content. Read more about it here. Luckily, I still have The BIGS coming out on the 25th and Mario Strikers: Charged coming out at the end of July.

Good thing listening to Descendents makes everything so much better! Go buy Milo Goes to College, because you have nothing else better to do with your money.

No comments: