Monday, April 13, 2009

Falling asleep in the cul-de-sac

Last night, you crawled into bed, 
kissed my forehead and asked how I felt
about falling asleep next to you while it rained.

A car rolled through the cul-de-sac
a handful of times. Water from catch drains
sloshed dirty onto the lawns right before
automatic sprinklers turned on. 
You whispered it again and I told you
Give me like, five minutes to think about that.

I was hoping you'd fall asleep or turn on the TV
and forget about asking. All four corners of the room
were lit from the revolving door cul-de-sac car.
It's tires drowned out rain against the window
or the stray cat batting at low branches on a bush.

I guess it's good and bad, you know?
You pushed your head into my shoulder and 
took a long breath.
"I don't know what you mean."
The newscasters talk about a grand opening,
I know this from a montage of pictures.
I watch their mouths move with no words coming out,
just showing teeth and smiling.

There are nights when I have to sleep alone
and I ball up t-shirts and shove them in my pillowcases
so they feel more like a body. I'll wake up three or four times
and use the bathroom or get a drink. Then,
I'll lie awake and listen to music just loud enough to hear
over breathing and hope somebody walks into the room
to watch dusk and dawn say hi.

Well,
you fell asleep. That's alright with me,
as long as your promise to be awake
around 6.

No comments: